Monday, September 5, 2016

Motivational Monday: Don't have energy? Take 20


I decided to start a Motivational Monday post because I am the type of person that needs constant motivation.  Today's post is about getting those projects that you have been thinking of, putting off, ignoring or dreaming about, started and hopefully finished.  I recently found a podcast called One Thing Today by Michael Nobbs.  I have been listening to it for about a week now  and I am loving it.  It's different from other motivational podcasts that I listen to.  Not better, but different. This podcast is a gentler approach to getting things done.  I loved it.  Since I started I have been more productive but not stressed out about it. 

One Thing Today podcast encourages you to take "small daily steps to accomplish your creative work."  You set the timer for 20 minutes and work along with Michael Nobbs as you accomplish those steps or goals. I am not creative in the artistic sense but I have used this system to accomplish things I have been meaning to get done. You can work on anything during the 20 minute work session. It could be something creative, something for work, or even a restful project.  I like that idea so much because there are times that I just don't have the energy to take on a full day's project or even a 20 minute project.   I can pick the project for the day and for the energy level too.
Its important to listen to your body and do what is right for you at the time.  If you don't have energy levels to work on a huge project, then maybe your 20 minutes will be a project that rejuvenates you.  You can choose something that fills your tanks, such as reading a good book, taking a walk, listening to some relaxing music or just resting and mediating.  If you have a little more energy, you can work on that project that seems  big and overwhelming.  Set the time rand start chipping away at it and when the timer goes off, stop.
Learning to your body is very important because you don't want to wear yourself out.  If you wear yourself out, you might end up sick or so depleted that you will not be able to get anything done for days and days.  I've been there.  
Listen to the podcast.  Check out the site.  Join one of the classes.  Or just set the time and get to work!

I listen to many podcasts, and some of them are motivational in nature.  When I have lots of energy and need the "go and conquer the world" podcasts, I listen to those.  I need both types of podcasts.  For those days that I have 0 energy and won't get anything done I can set the timer for 20 minutes, pull out a project and work until the timer goes off.  Sometimes that is enough to get me up and about ready to do more.  If I am having a good energy day, I can listen to a different podcast to pump myself up and take that bigger step to accomplish my goals.There might be many out there that can go, go, go and would never have an off day, but that is not me.  It has taken a long time for me to realize that.  I would feel terrible when I had those low energy days.  I wondered what was wrong with me and why I didn't have the get up and go that many of my friends had.  After many many years of not understanding my own rhythm, I have finally learned to accept it and move forward with the tools I need to get things done.   Some days I need lots of motivation and other days, I don't.  I am learning to listen to my body and work accordingly. I am also learning to heal my body and change my habits to get more high energy days, but that is a work in progress. 

What did I accomplish using Michael's system last week?  Well, the end of last week.


I dug out my certification packet for the childbirth educator program I am trying to finish.  I hadn't done much in it for a few reasons.  1.  I was working on another certification (which took way too long to finish) 2.  I was procrastinating  3.  I loved my bed a bit too much after having a hard beginning of August.  I set the timer for 20 minutes, grabbed the packet and my journal and brainstormed what I was going to write for 3 essays.  BAM!!  I sat back and wondered, not for the first time, why I put things off?

The next day, I listened to the podcast and decided to work on my bathroom that REALLY needed my attention.  Got that done, had time left over so I worked on folding laundry.  I also declutted a bit in my room for the last few minutes that were left on the timer.
This motivated me enough to go and work on other things in the house before the kids woke up.  I felt good, and started homeschooling the kids.  

My plan this week is to work on my packet 3 days this week, homeschool 4 days, personal study 4 mornings, and work on my house for 20 minutes each day.  I might even get back into FlyLady, but that is for another day.

My plan for today is:
Listen to 1 General Conference Talk, read scriptures, 2 podcasts and read my personal study book before 8 am.
Set the time for 20 minutes and work on my certification.
Homeschool:  We are going to a co-op class and a P.E. class (if I remembered to sign up for it)
Morning Basket
prep dinner 
work on personal schole (study)

Just an FYI, I am not lazy, or just lay around in bed all day.  But, I do have some trouble getting things done when I have those low energy days.  As a homeschool mom of 7, 4 still at home, and a busy doula, I have lots on my plate.  Sadly, sometimes my energy level derails me.  I have to actively look for things that will help me accomplish my goals.

Let see how that goes.  What are your plans for Motivational Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment